Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Book Review: The 13th Reality by James Dashner


The 13th Reality by James Dashner
Dear Master Atticus,
I am writing to you in hopes that you will have the courage of heart and the strength of mind to help me in a most dreadful time of need. Things are literally splitting apart at the seams, as it were, and I must find those who can assist me in some very serious matters.
Beginning today (the fifteenth of November), I am sending out a sequence of special messages and clues that will lead you to an important, albeit dangerous, destiny if you so choose. No, dangerous may not be a strong enough word. Indubitably and despicably deadly—yes, that’s better.

Atticus (aka Tick) Higginsbottom opens this letter one day that presents him a challenge. If he does not burn the letter he will receive future letters, which will present him with a riddle to solve, a puzzle, which if solved will cause him to save the lives of many people. Tick is excited about the challenge until strange creatures start appearing to frighten him. Tick must make a decision to accept the challenge presented before him or to discover the mystery behind the letter and its sender.
I enjoyed reading this book. I love the name Atticus! I really liked the humor and the characters, and the quirkiness of the story. I love Sofia, the bossy, rich Italian girl. She is hilarious, and reminded me several times of incidents I had while in Italy. Her strong personality is balanced by Sato, a mysterious and embittered Asian boy, who has a dark mystery in his past. I’m excited to find out more about him. This was an all around good read. The only negative is that you have to wait for a sequel. I was slightly worried while reading through that the climax would be just getting to the place the letters guided the children too, and that would have been lame! Rest assured that there are cool action scenes with scary unnamed creatures of death, and a pretty cool climax.
I would recommend this story to all. James Dashner is a great guy, and a good writer. I look forward to what he has in store for us in the future.
Here is his website: http://www.the13threality.com/
Here is his blog: http://jamesdashner.blogspot.com/

No comments: