Saturday, August 23, 2008

Trouble in Palmyra by Rob Ficiur


Trouble in Palmyra by Rob Ficiur

Tom and Becky Long are spending the next few days at their uncle’s Daniels house. He’s obsessed with church history, and whenever they visit they’re sure to hear a boring lecture. Then he tells them that he’s built a time machine, and of course they don’t believe him until it actually works! Tom and Uncle Daniel get separated from Becky while traveling to Palmyra in the year 1820. They try to find her, but have to follow several rules, no unusual contact with people in the past, and most importantly they have to stay away from the prophet Joseph Smith and his family. That cannot interfere with the timeline or so Uncle Daniel says. Yet, sometimes things don’t turned out as planned.

I really enjoyed this read. I thought it would be so-so but it kept my imagination active several days after I finished reading it. I really want to pick up the next book in the series. I guess I’ll tell you, Becky gets taken in by the Smith family until her Brother Tom and Uncle Daniel are able to find her. It is fun to see how the author portrayed the Smith family and their relationships to one another, and how they were such good people, though not perfect. The only thing I didn’t like about this book is that I felt like there was some talking down in the book. Tom gets in trouble a lot, and gets lectured by his dad. When the time-travel adventure ends Becky and Tom give a summary of everything they learned to the Uncle Daniel, but the reader already knew all of this. So it was sort of awkward and just a bit too much. Despite this the characters are likable and the story enjoyable. I would recommend.

No comments: