Friday, June 27, 2008

Book Review: Percy Jackson Series by Rick Riordan

I have this wierd reluctance to spend so many blog posts on one series, especially when you read them all in row. Maybe I fear that it will make the blog boring or something. So, in this post you get my opinon on the remaining Percy Jackson books.




Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The next installment of Percy’s Adventures finds camp Half-Blood in dire circumstances, and Grover in great danger. The tree that guards that camp has been poisoned, and the protective borders around camp are becoming fainter and fainter. Meanwhile, Percy has been getting dreams that Grover is in the hands of an ancient enemy—the Cyclops. On an island filled with sheep, Odysseus’s old enemy is only kept from eating Grover because the blinded Cyclops thinks that Grover is marriageable material. Percy and his friends must travel through the sea of monsters to rescue a friend and find a magic object that just may save camp half-blood.







The Titan’s Curse by Rick Riordan

Percy once again receives an urgent summons from Grover, who has found two powerful half-bloods in a new school. Percy and crew arrive to help transport the demi-gods and keep them safe. Lord Kronos, with the help of their friend Luke, has devious plans to detain them. Hence, en route to camp, Percy’s group is ambushed and Annabeth is taken prisoner. The sudden assistance of Artemis and her huntresses save them from being captured, but Annabeth is gone. Percy must start another quest to rescue his friend Annabeth from the clutches of Kronos before he brings down the foundations of Mt. Olympus.











The Battle of the Labyrinth By Rich Riordan

Percy doesn’t expect Freshman Orientation to go well at his new school, but having demon cheerleaders attack him is a surprise. In this continuation of the Percy Jackson series Luke and Kronos’s army has gotten bigger and more dangerous. What is worse is that they have a plan to get into camp half-blood through the labyrinth built by Daedalus. Percy and his friends have to find the secret to finding their way through the Labyrinth before Luke does and destroys camp-half blood. Yet, the Labyrinth is dark, dangerous, and drives those who enter it insane. Our heroes are not sure who will come away alive.






I continue to completely enjoy this series. I can honestly say that it is as good as the Harry Potter series, if not better. I seriously get sucked into the world whenever I read the books and the action-adventure element is always well written and way fun. Riordan also manages to write teenage romance much better than Rowling.

One of my pet peeves is that the Greek language doesn’t seem to be used as much. That doesn’t really bug me as much as the fact that it isn’t being used where it would most likely be seen. For example, in Curse of the Titan’s the heroes get to ride in Apollo’s Chariot. Percy thinks he reads “Warning: Student Driver,” but isn’t sure because he is dyslexic. Well, if Apollo is a Greek god then wouldn’t his chariot have Greek writing on it not English? I don’t know. Makes sense to me! There is another instance of this in Battle of the Labyrith. So, yeah, that’s just me being really picky, but I have noticed the lack. I’m pretty sure I’m the only one noticing too because I’m weird and obsessive that way. Other than that small detail I really love the series.

I think my favorite book is the Titian’s Curse because I really like Artemis and her huntresses. We also get to see Athena in that book, and Athena is my favorite Greek goddess. I’m really tempted to recommend them to my classics friends. I don’t know how they would react. Something to wonder about.

So, who's your favorite mythological god/goddess? Which book in the series is your favorite?


Rick Riodan's Webpage:http://www.rickriordan.com/

No comments: