Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Book Reivew: Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George


Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Creel’s poor aunt comes up with the brilliant idea to give her to the town dragon. Her aunt wants the Lord’s son to come rescue her and marry her just as in the fairy stories. Creel only wants to go to the capital and work as a seamstress. So while in the dragon cave of Theodeus, who wants nothing to do with humans much less a threatening knight, she makes a bargain. She’ll take a pair of slippers, which Theodeus hordes (not gold!), and convince the town people that he really doesn’t exist. Little does she know that the pair of slippers that she takes are of great significance to dragon and humans alike.

She walks to the king’s city and on the way there runs into a thieving band that intends to hurt her when another dragon comes to her aid. Shardus loves to collect beautiful glass windows, and Creel finds a new inspiration for her embroidery designs. She makes samples to show off at shops, but when she finally leaves Shardus she receives a cool reception in the city. She runs into the younger prince right before curfew and he takes her to the Inn of a stern, but kind woman, who helps her find work in the best dress shop. A royal princess steals Creel’s special shoes, and strange things begin to happen. Creel must discover and combat the power of the shoes in order to save her dragon friends and the entire kingdom.


I read this book because it won the Whitney Award. So, I picked it up to see why it would merit winning the award. I couldn’t put it down! It was a wonderful and engaging plot. There is a wonderful villain. So well written! Someone you truly love to hate. The dragons have unique and interesting characters of their own. The plot totally hooked me and I couldn’t put it down. In short, I loved it. I would recommend that you pick it up from a library or store if you haven’t read it yet.

Here is the author's website: http://www.jessicadaygeorge.com/default.aspx

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved it too. I was one of the judges for the Whitney Awards and Dragon Slippers was an easy read, which was nice. After devouring it, I immediately took it to my little sister to read to her kids. Everybody loved it.

Gamila said...

Yeah, it is a really good book. I really enjoyed reading it. I also liked the sequel Dragon Flight also.

Anonymous said...

After meeting Jessica Day George at the Provo Children's Lit, I knew that I had to read her books. I'm looking forward to them and after your review I'm looking forward to it even more.

Gamila said...

Thanks Natasha. I love your blog. I took some of your book blogging advice when you posted helps for book bloggers. Very cool.