Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Book Review: Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale


Book of a Thousand Days
By Shannon Hale

Dashti is a mountain maid, who is forced to travel to the city to survive after her mother dies. She is a common mucker, but one that is gifted with healing songs. She trains to be the Princess’s maid-in-waiting as a result. She arrives in the princesse's room and discovers that she is banished to live in a tower for 7 years. Dashti, just as loyal servant should, vows to go with her and be her friend. At first Dashti is thrilled to have so much food in the cellar, and to have time to write. She delights in the surroundings, which provide her with more than she ever has had before. Then the rats come and start to eat the food that is to last for seven years. To add to this the princess’s suitors start to come visit. One proves to be a boon and the other may just be the source of their destruction.
This was another wonderful book from Shannon Hale. I love her writing. Though I still think Goose Girl and Princess Academy are my favorites. I love the strength and courage of Dashti in this book, her optimism, and her simple plain goodness. I like how Hale’s characters show a love for nature that replenishes their spirits and courage. I too feel the same connection with the nature and beautiful things around me, and so I relate to them well. The story differs from her other books slightly, as it is written in a first person diary format. There are even illustrations, for Dashti (the author of the diary) has artistic talents. I would recommend this book to all.
Once again Shannon has an awesome website and lots of details on all of her books there: http://www.squeetus.com/stage/books_b1000.html

1 comment:

Heather Moore said...

Very fun read. I was caught up in the story almost immediately.