Saturday, September 1, 2012

Variant by Robison Wells


Variant by Robison Wells

Variant has been on my to read list for quite a while and I got as far as checking it out at the library and then returning it unread when it was due. It however was consumed by my husband and highly recommended, which only served to make me want to read it more. Then I discovered that it went on sale for $2.99 on the kindle. I snatched that book right up and finished reading it by the end of the week. And I really liked it a lot. The main character Benson Fischer is a foster care kid wishing for a new life, a new chance, and new school. He applies and gets a scholarship for Maxfield Academy, a place he is excited to be until he arrives and discovers that everyone inside is trapped.

I love how strong Benson’s character is and how realistically he responds to the situation he is placed into, but he remains unwilling to accept the facts of the situation and keeps trying to find the answers. When he does discover the truth behind Maxfield his stay there turns into a struggle for survival and there is no one he can trust.  This one kept me on the edge of my seat and turning pages until the very end. I loved how each twist and turn of the plot only raised the stakes higher and how interesting the dynamics got between all the characters, especially when all of them didn’t know who they should trust. I am way excited for the sequel in October because the ending was perfect. Just enough information to make the story feel satisfying, to feel like you had learned a little about what was happening, but not enough to give away the whole creepy picture that is just waiting to be revealed.  

1 comment:

Susan said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I didn't think it was that great and I especially hated the ending, but I do think the series has potential. I've got an ARC of FEEDBACK that I'll get around to reading one of these days ...