Monday, June 20, 2011

Problems finishing books (also a review of The True Adventures of Hector Kingsley by Kindal Debenham)

So, I've been struggling to keep up with this blog each week. I can't seem to read books fast enough because real life keeps interrupting.

I was halfway through reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and then the book was due back at the library right before we had to leave for a family reunion to Utah. So, I have put in a request for it again because there is a waiting list. A small one but a waiting list none the less. I was really liking it too! But I am mad because I spent all that time reading and now there is no review to show for it at the end of the week. bah! I want to finish a book! 

I am currently halfway through Sara Zarr's  How to Save a Life but am finding it way too depressing to continue. What can I say? I like happy books. I didn't think this book was going to be quite so sad or so full of tragedy ridden cliche. I am really tired of the mom's boyfriend being abusive plot line. Tell another story people!!!!! I am sorry. This is mean to the author Ms. Zarr. I really did like her other books, but this one is just too much.

In addition I just read my husband's novel manuscript The True Adventures of Hector Kingsley. I actually finished it and I must admit it has been the most enjoyable read out of the three titles I've mentioned. It was funny, charming and just a fun ride. I think my husband is a brilliant writer. There were typos and mistakes, but I challenge you to show me another author that can write such a tight plot line in only a second draft! It is seriously AMAZING! But maybe I only admire this skill because I can't plot a story to save my life. I can't tell you the number of times my husband's clear-sighted advice has helped me to wrangle in my stories that never seem to end.

Anyway Hector is an Investigator entrenched in the streets of Victorian Era London. In true steam-punk style the world has been affected by a material called the Distillation. This material once discovered in the vast regions of the Arctic began to change the face of the world. The distillation was appreciated first as a catalyst for machinery and inventions across many disciplines, and then it became apparent that it had serious side-effects on those humans that had handled it so carelessly. Mutations began to appear among the populace, mutations that seemed to reflect the inner character of those who came in direct or prolonged contact with it.

So, now Hector not only solves ordinary run of the mill crimes, but crimes that involve golems, trolls, werewolves, and other once human creatures out to fulfil the bidding of their evil crime lords. Nearly out of funds to sustain his housing and food costs Hector takes on two investigating jobs after his American friend, a Ms. Patricia Anderson gives his name over as a reference. The first involves the assassination attempt of a Lord Pevensly, a nobleman renowned for his generous charitable contributions and controversial stances in Parliament. The second, the vandalism of a vulnerable school for children affected by the Distillation.

So, there is the blurb. My favorite character has got to be Ms. Patricia Anderson herself, a bold pants-wearing, carbine-toting, woman straight from the wild-west. She is totally in love with Hector and Hector is totally in love with her, but they just won't admit it yet! So frustrating those two. So, my husband is planning a sequel, but he won't start writing it till September. What shall I do? I miss the book already. sigh. I am already giving him hints about what types of scenes he should insert.

I would like to see Benjamin and Hector do such and such I say...

Oh, and you have to do this plot-line sometime! It would be hilarious. *wink wink*

Dear Hubby! When will Hector and Patricia kiss? huh? huh?   

He is quite gracious to bear my annoying prodding, but I think he is just happy that I actually like the book. I hope one day you all get to read this manuscript in book form. I would like to have enough money to have my husband write at home all day. I'd bring him sandwiches at lunch time and make sure he got to play with our little one everyday just when she was the happiest, and not fussy and grumpy. or screaming in the middle of the night for a hour straight just cause she wants to. Arrggg! Also, that means I'd get more books about Hector Kingsley in a very prompt fashion. plotting plotting....anyone want to be his patron? You will get lots of free books. It is tempting isn't it?

No comments: